Verus Mortgage Capital is an independent national mortgage investor. Verus offers its Sellers responsible non-prime and Jumbo prime lending products that fill the credit void in today’s market. Verus consistently evaluates today’s market and credible borrower financing needs to offer our partners innovative solutions. Verus Mortgage Capital is an affiliate of Invictus Capital Partners please visit our website at https://verusmc.com/.
Verus Mortgage Capital is looking for a Senior Scenario Desk Underwriter to join our team. The ideal candidate can critically analyze complex loan scenarios and requests for exceptions to underwriting guidelines. Experience in a wholesale loan origination environment and proven experience analyzing alternative income documentation including self-employed income analysis using bank statements, expense ratios, and P&L documentation, non-owner occupied investment property income using debt service coverage ratio (DSCR), as well as standard income documentation is a must. Verus does not rely on automated underwriting applications for credit decisioning so the scenario desk underwriter must be able to perform a manual underwrite of all aspects of a transaction including independent appraisal and value reconciliation, entity and trust ownership structures, and identification of layered risks.
The scenario underwriter is responsible for partnering with Brokers, Account Executives, and internal staff to quickly determine viable scenarios, assist in structuring scenarios that align with criteria, and consider formal exceptions to guidelines. Thinking skills based on this determination, the underwriter will either approve or deny the scenario / exception as appropriate.
- Reviews and responds to scenario and exception requests within agreed upon SLA. Proactively communicates (verbally and written) with internal & external clients to obtain additional information/details when needed. Clear and concise communication is expected in all situations.
- Analyzes scenarios as presented and documents, including but not limited to, mortgage applications, credit history and income documents, title documents, appraisals, and other documents as necessary.
- Approves, declines, or refers scenarios and exceptions within limits of assigned authority.
- Maintain complete and accurate records of recommendations and decisions to ensure transparency and oversight is available.
Education and Experience
- Minimum of five years’ experience underwriting Non-QM loans.
- Manual underwriting experience highly preferred
- Required proficiency in alternative Non-QM income analysis and Appraisal Evaluations
- High school diploma or equivalent required
- Thorough understanding of credit risk and an ability to review complex loan transactions.
- Great compensation package
- Attractive benefits plans and paid time off
- 401(k) w/ company matching
- Professional learning and development opportunities
- And much more!
Successful applicants will exemplify strong ethics, integrity, respect for others, accountability for decisions, and actions, and good citizenship.
A background check is required prior to a formal offer of employment.
A written response to a sample scenario may be requested during the interview process.
Maintaining a reliable, uninterrupted high speed internet connection is a requirement of hybrid or remote position.
This position will require a flexible work schedule including working Pacific time zone until 6 PM M-F
Verus Mortgage Capital is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants are welcomed to apply and will receive consideration for employment without unlawful discrimination because of a person’s race, religious creed, color, national origin, citizenship status, ancestry, marital status, sex, age, or sexual orientation, or because of a person’s disability or medical condition.