This is an exciting opportunity to join a growing company in an emerging market. We offer a fast paced and fun environment where your input and experience are valued.
Verus Mortgage Capital is an independent national mortgage investor. Verus offers its Sellers responsible non-prime and Jumbo prime lending products that fill the credit void in today’s market. Verus consistently evaluates today’s market and credible borrower financing needs to offer our partners innovative solutions. Verus Mortgage Capital is an affiliate of Invictus Capital Partners please visit our website at https://verusmc.com/.
Verus Mortgage Capital is seeking a Compliance Officer to join our team to work directly with our Legal and Compliance Department. The core mission of the Compliance Officer role is to ensure compliance with applicable federal, state, and local mortgage laws and regulations. Chief among the role’s responsibilities include assisting in establishing and maintaining key components of a Compliance Management System (CMS) for both origination and loan acquisition purposes. Tasks could range from monitoring and testing of applicable laws and regulations, regulatory implementation, monitoring company compliance training, resolving regulatory related consumer complaints, engaging in examination responses, maintaining compliance policies and procedures, maintaining an inventory of compliance controls by channel, developing internal and external compliance reporting by channel, reviewing marketing materials, and reviewing federal and state disclosures. This is the perfect position for a dedicated, flexible, enthusiastic, and detail-oriented professional with a “can-do” attitude looking to work with a fast-paced company and a cohesive team across all regulatory subject matter areas of mortgage lending. The Compliance Officer role will report directly to the Chief Compliance Officer and Senior Associate General Counsel. The office is located in Bloomington, MN, however remote candidates will be considered.
- 6+ years of experience in a Legal or Compliance role in a retail or wholesale lending channel for a mortgage lender
- Subject matter expertise on laws relevant to non-bank federal and state mortgage origination and/or servicing, including ECOA, FCRA, FACTA, HMDA, RESPA, TILA, GLBA, BSA/AML, SAFE, UDAAP, and CCPA
- 2+ years of experience with mortgage lending testing and monitoring development or execution
- 1+ years of experience developing compliance related reporting, such as testing and monitoring reports, QC reports, and senior management reports.
Education and Experience
- Extensive experience working with a mortgage lender(s) with multiple channels, including correspondent, wholesale, and retail origination
- Experience with providing Compliance guidance for onboarding of a loan origination system, document preparation service, or similar project
- Experience with user acceptance testing (UAT) from a Compliance perspective
- Experience with providing Compliance guidance for vendor management and regulatory change management programs
- Experience with Fair Lending, HMDA, Privacy and/or BSA/AML requirements
- Subject matter expertise on state mortgage laws and regulations
- Experience creating or maintaining a risk/control inventory
- Experience in drafting compliance policies and reviewing business procedures for compliance
- Project management experience
- Experience performing a compliance risk assessment by origination channel
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite and Adobe Acrobat, particularly Excel, with an ability to become proficient on lender programs and software (i.e., Encompass, Mortgage Flex, etc.)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work with team members at all levels, company partners, regulators and other third parties; while remaining respectful and efficient, and with a high level of professionalism and confidentiality
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Manage multiple priorities, projects, and deadlines with a strong sense of urgency and responsiveness
- Advanced problem-solving skills with the ability to define problems, analyze the variables and propose solutions.
All job duties and responsibilities must be performed within the guidelines of the Verus Residential Mortgage Employee Handbook and established company policies and procedures. It is the responsibility of each employee to maintain confidentiality of the company, its clients and to follow applicable laws and regulations in the performance of duties.
Verus Mortgage Capital is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants are welcomed to apply and will receive consideration for employment without unlawful discrimination because of a person’s race, religious creed, color, national origin, citizenship status, ancestry, marital status, sex, age, or sexual orientation, or because of a person’s disability or medical condition.